Wildflowers in St John's Closed Churchyard, Huntingdon.
Huntingdon Town Council is committed to creating a more sustainable environment. Our Corporate Plan, which was adopted on the 4th April 2019, includes the following projects that we are working on to increase sustainability in our area.
- Eco friendly building developments, such as the new Coneygear Centre
- A commitment to replace vehicles with electric vehicles for our Estates Services Team and installation of charge points
- The re-use of energy/heat from the Crematorium to support a new Estates Services Depot
- Water conservation/recycling schemes at all Town Council sites - including the allotments
- Waterless toilets at the allotment sites
- Use of environmentally friendly products for cleaning at Town Council sites
- Paperless offices and transactions
- Recyling schemes
- Tree planting programme to enhance the number of trees planted within the town's boundary
- Running eco-friendly events and working towards the eliminating single use plastic
- Encouraging external hirers of Town Council buildings to use less single use plastics
- Working with Huntingdonshire District Council to look at point of contact recycling schemes and water bottle refill points
We created an Environment Sub Committee, which has been delegated responsibility to implement Huntingdon Town Council's Environment Policy. The first meeting of the Environment Sub Committee was on Thursday 11th July 2019.
Environment Policy (PDF, 89 Kb)
A copy of Huntingdon Town Council's Environment Policy.
Waterless toilet at the Primrose Lane allotment site.
If you would like to find out more about how you can be environmentally friendly in your own home, please take a look at the useful resources below.